27 October 2021
The 11 July marches in several Cuban cities, which were repressed by the government of Miguel Díaz Canel, led to the persecution and criminalisation of many activists belonging to different organisations who took part in the July march and who have expressed their desire to take part in the march on 15 November.
One of those being persecuted is chemical engineer David Alejandro Martinez Espinosa, a lecturer at the University of Medical Sciences in Cienfuegos, who was dismissed from his teaching position at the Cuban university for “echoing false news about national events… and criticising the political system and its leaders”, according to the university authorities, who also told him he was being dismissed for joining the 15 November march.
In this context, a wide-ranging petition, in which professors, students and other Cuban personalities are taking part, is being promoted, requesting the reinstatement of Professor Martinez Espinosa in his post. Among the signatories are Frank Garcia Hernandez, a sociologist and Marxist historian, Lisbeth Moya Gonzalez, a journalist, editor of Comunistas blog, among others.
From the International Workers’ Unity-Fourth International, we support this campaign.
Below is the letter that is being signed by Cuban students, professors and personalities, demanding the reinstatement of Professor David Alejandro Martinez Espinosa.
“To Mr Miguel Diaz Canel Bermudez, First Secretary of the Communist Party of Cuba and President of the Republic of Cuba;
To Mr Ramon Saborido Loidi, Minister of Higher Education;
To Mrs Arelys Falcon Hernandez, Rector of the University of Medical Sciences of Cienfuegos;
To the Cuban University Community:
The maelstrom of events which, because of the demonstrations of 11 and 12 July in Cuba, have become more visible, now has a new development: the removal of a university professor from his place of work because of his proximity to the Archipelago group and support for the Civic March announced for 15 November.
On 19 October, chemical engineer David Alejandro Martinez Espinosa, a lecturer at the University of Medical Sciences in Cienfuegos, was summoned by Arelys Falcon Hernandez, rector of the institution, to inform him of the decision to remove him from his post, for – according to her – “echoing false news about national events… and criticising the political system and its leaders”, besides the reproach expressed verbally for his membership of the aforementioned national group and his support for the forthcoming civic event scheduled for next month.
We, the undersigned, categorically reject the actions of the educational institution as being contrary to the law, whether it is the abstractly existing law or the law incorporated in the positive legal system. Resolution 109 of 2021 of the Rector of the University of Medical Sciences of Cienfuegos, which formalised the dismissal, invokes generic, imprecise legal grounds relating to “moral grounds” or “loss of ideology of the Cuban revolution”.
Likewise, we echo the various criticisms from different sectors of the intelligentsia that question the relevance and interpretation of the 2019 Constitution put forward by the state apparatus, which has become exclusive and arbitrary, materialising in acts as regrettable as the one condemned.
A document that claims to be dedicated to the structuring of the rule of law must be reinterpreted progressively and progressively, emphasising the just values in articles 31, 41 and 54 that define work as a right, interpreted under the doctrine of human rights and the principle of non-discrimination, to make effective the postulate of the last article invoked, which enshrines freedom of demonstration and conscience.
Those of us who subscribe to this declaration invites the rest of the citizens who feel identified with what is stated in this document to reaffirm it, and we invite the competent authorities to rectify the attitude they have been maintaining and to take the pertinent measures to reverse the damage caused by the decisions taken against Professor David Martínez Espinosa and those that are similar in cause and effect.
On 25 October 2021, we, the undersigned, ratified the letter:
1. Adel Ivan Machado Hernandez Bachelor in Physical Culture ID: 89311150787
2. Adriana Fonte Preciado, writer, columnist, student of religious sciences and doctor. ID: 97120302410
3. Agustin Pi Martinez. BA in History, University of Havana. ID: 88081610282
4. Alejandro Acosta Hechevarria, a first-year student of Social Communication, press trainer, Granma paper ID: 95041129006.
5. Alejandro Baez Garcia, graduate in Pedagogy-Psychology. UCPEJV. ID: 98101507084
6. Alejandro Diaz Roque, a Computer Scientist and Software Engineer. ID: 95111428926
7. Alejandro Garcia Colina, a second-year student of accounting and Finance. The University of Matanzas. ID: 98092300505
8. Alejandro Lorenzo Lozada, Licentiate in Geography. ID: 96111608185
9. Alejandro Perdomo Garcia, a student of Tourism Assistance. ID: 94042823387
10. Alejandro R. Ramos Ramos, PhD student in Physics, ID: 92022527866
11. Alejandro Villalobos Landaburu, a fourth-year law student, ID: 98072312168.
12. Alexander Hall Lujardo, a fourth-year student of History, University of Havana. ID: 98112708287.
13. Alexei Padilla Herrera, a social communicator and researcher. ID 85090508063.
14. Alexey Amaran Bogachov, a Graduate of the UH ID: 75050700708
15. Alfredo Castellanos Collazo, BA in Art History, University of Havana. ID: 63011201185
16. Alfredo Gonzalez Crespo. Telecommunications and electronics engineer. ID 81100801028
17. Alhema Leyva Martinez, a graduate in Spanish Literature ID: 78071908651
18. Alina B. Lopez Hernandez, historian, essayist, and editor. General coordinator of La Joven Cuba. ID: 65073002210
19. Alvaro Garcia Fojo, retired professor. ID: 46042924822
20. Alvaro Tejeda Sardiñas, a fourth-year student at the Felix Varela Institute: ID: 96102707948
21. Amalia Echemendia Fernandez, a second-year student of Visual Arts at ISA ID: 00100766974
22. Ana Leyva Dehesa, journalist. Faculty of Communication, UH ID: 88112736656.
23. Anais Rodriguez Sotolongo, ID: 74072624416. 24.
24. Anay Remon Garcia, BA in Art History, University of Havana. ID: 83090728178
25. Angel Eduardo Pupo Señol, a Bachelor of Nursing. Master in Medical Emergencies ID: 71072023346.
26. Ariamna Cepero Almeida, an actress. ID: 81010512793
27. Ariel Lopez Home. Writer, a musician, with a degree in Psychology ID: 79010610024
28. Armando Cuba de la Cruz, a historian. ID 55080405683
29. Armando Perez Bachelor in Biological Sciences. ID 53022400728
30. Arquimedes Camejo Almarales, a professor of psychology at the University of Holguin. ID: 92110943308
31. Aurora Calderon Fumero, a third-year student of literature. ID: 96072109931
32. Aylen Martinez Hernandez, Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology and Master’s Degree in Clinical and Health Psychology and Special Educational Needs and Early Intervention. ID 81092504116.
33. Boris Milian Diaz. Diploma in Humanities and Contemporary Philosophy, Universidad Cristobal Colon De Veracruz ID: 86071006580.
34. Brian Quintero Mora Engineer ID: 95081631629.
35. Carmen Elena Rodriguez Papa. ID 65092201665
36. Carmen María la O Coureoneaux, a junior doctor in MGI. ID: 97100621331
37. Carolina C. Barrero Ferrer, BA in Art History. ID: 86100704873.
38. Cesar Álvarez Fraga, a fourth-year student of Art Education. ID: 9907020205704
39. Claudio Gaitan Garmendia, a Computer Engineer at the Faculty of Computer Engineering of the Technological University of Havana “José Antonio Echeverría” (CUJAE). ID: 91071530029.
40. Cristian Orlando Martinez Alvarez, a third-year student of Agricultural Engineering. ID: 99070421384.
41. Dachelys Valdes Moreno, Psychologist. ID: 86111405474.
42. Dalis Daniela Perez Albornoz, a graphic designer ID: 96111315156
43. Daniel A. Espinosa Prieto, a third-year student of Medicine, University of Medical Sciences of Las Tunas. ID: 94081441821
44. Daniel Ruviert Herrera. Degree in Microbiology UH ID: 92030429947.
45. Daniel Triana Rubio, a student of Theatre Studies at the University of the Arts. ID: 97071308549
46. Daniela Ventura del Puerto, a Professor, Faculty of Biology, University of Havana. ID: 97081900212
47. David Alejandro Guerra Gomez, B.A. in History, University of Holguín and Professor. ID: 93020619721.
48. Dayana Rozada Gonzalez, an MD, ID: 93021406294.
49. Denis Alejandro Matienzo Alonso, a fifth-year student of Geography, University of Havana. ID: 95052329384
50. Dharma Amalia Castro Garcia Stomatologist UCLV.
51. Dmitri Prieto Samsonov, a PhD student in Social Anthropology. ID: 72121924141
52. Eduardo Carmelo Cusidor — an Architect and self-employed ID: 58052817162
53. Eduardo Longa Aguilar. A Musician ID: 75122503220
54. Eduardo Muñoz Meireles, a teacher of foreign languages. ID: 95090829629
55. Elena del Valle Pantoja, Bachelor of Arts in Audiovisual Media Arts, ISA ID: 70010733839
56. Elizabeth Blazquez Fernandez, Economics student. ID: 95030328891
57. Ernesto Gutierrez Leyva, a lawyer. ID: 9403030544341
58. Ernesto R. de Armas Montero, a student of Computer Engineering, ID 95031528923.
59. Ernesto Wong Garcia. a PhD in Linguistic Sciences and a professor at the University of Havana. ID: 87082306748
60. Eross R. Cruz Gancedo. Trader ID: 95090406385
61. Eva Odalys Martinez Serrano, a Biochemist from the Biology Faculty,1984 ID 62010302816
62. Fabian Ruiz ID: 83070928588
63. Fabio Miguel Quintero Perez, a fourth-year student of Journalism ID: 99100104264.
64. Fernando Almeyda Rodriguez. graduate in Law. ID; 92060430605
65. Frank David Guerra, a student of dramaturgy ISA ID: 98070308668
66. Frank Garces Terrero. Editor ID: 87060233408
67. Frank Garcia Hernandez, Sociologist and historian. A Member of the Editorial Committee of Comunistas. ID: 82072808688
68. Gabriela Amador Fajardo, a Student of Industrial Engineering, Cujae. ID: 96090609971
69. Geysel Bosch Galvez, graduate in Medicine. Master in Paediatric Emergency Medicine. ID: 77050710557
70. Giselle Gonzalez Garcia, egresada UH 2016, Master in History. ID: 93061406250
71. Gisselle Ordoñez Milan, a Specialist Centre Management UEB Occidente-EMGEF Havana ID: 86012207852.
72. Hairo Alain Alvarez Pestana, a first-year student of Mechanical Engineering. Hermanos Saiz Montes de Oca University. ID: 98112302560
73. Hamed Oriol Toledo Torres, a fifth-year philosophy student. ID: 94031929308
74. Hector L. Calas Roque, a fourth-year student of Social Communication, University of Havana. ID: 92052931061
75. Hermes Trujillo Gonzalez, Electrical Engineer ID 60080600228.
76. Ianela Rodriguez Quintero. Bachelor of Arts. ID: 90122420478
77. Ines Caridad Casal Enriquez, Retired Professor, University of Havana. ID: 48111408614
78. Irasema Prada Delgado, Civil Engineer. ID: 63060501312
79. Ivette Garcia Gonzalez, Historian, teacher and researcher. ID: 65121412274
80. Jairo Arostegui Garcia, history graduate and professor at the University of Havana. ID: 95101831305
81. Jandro Ariel Martinez Romero, a third-year history student at the University of Havana. ID: 97082308269.
82. Javier L. Mora, Licentiate in Literature ID: 83091921460.
83. Javier Rodriguez Ortiz, a graduate in Computing Sciences. ID: 83100114445.
84. Javier Sarmiento Sastriques, Computer Engineer, Universidad de Oriente. ID: 94110847542
85. Jessica Sabina Gonzalez, sociologist and reporter for Tremenda Nota Magazine ID:94060209078
86. Jesus R. Sanchez Rodriguez. Bachelor in Law UH ID: 75120506743
87. Joel D. Perez Medero, a fourth-year student of Biochemistry, University of Havana. ID: 98062907084
88. Joeluis Cerutti Torres, Master in Physics and professor at the University of Havana. ID: 92031300108.
89. Jordy Diaz Correa, a fourth-year student at the Faculty of Health Technology FATESA ID: 98032707488.
Jorge Enrique Rodriguez Camejo, Writer, Cultural Promoter ID: 73051809264.
91. Jose A. Esteve Santos, a fourth-year student of Medicine, University of Medical Sciences of Las Tunas. ID: 98022617209
92. Jose A. Santiesteban Ricardo, Telecommunications and Electronics Engineer. ID: 95081244406.
93. Jose Antonio Pereiro Morejon, Researcher, Faculty of Biology, University of Havana. ID: 92110927807.
94. Jose Gabriel Barrenechea, Writer. ID: 71073105387.
95. Jose Gonzalez-Cueto Vila – Automatic Control Engineer, UCLV. ID: 68110602986.
96. Jose Leandro Garbey Castillo – Journalism student. ID: 95091549167
97. Jose Manuel Gonzalez Rubines, Professor of Journalism at the UH. ID: 94030325705.
98. Joyce Alvarez Leon. Licentiate in Theology ID: 79030510480
99. Juan A. Esperon Diaz. Professor Arts Higher Institute ID: 55510053606.
100. Juan Carlos Saenz Calhorra, filmmaker. ID: 77072104324.
101. Julio Antonio Fernandez Estrada, lawyer and professor. ID: 75091501927.
102. Julio Cesar Llopiz Casal, visual artist. ID: 84021707104.
103. Katherine Fonte Rivero, Veterinary student. ID: 0011202066916
104. Kevin Argudin Madan, a fifth-year student of Geography. University of Havana. ID: 97082707162
105. Kianay Anandra Perez, Journalist. ID: 97100508614
106. Laura Conyed Barral Filmmaker. ID: 84081914177
107. Laura Mourlot Rodriguez, B.A. in Library and Information Science, University of Havana. Master of Science in Documentation at the University of Alcala de Henares. ID. 89121220637.
108. Lazaro Javier La Casa Guerra, a second-year student of medicine. Faculty of Medical Sciences Diez de Octubre. ID 99061100303
109. Leandro Jose de la Torriente Guerra, Economist. ID: 93020932323
110. Lennier Lopez Chaviano, PhD candidate in Political Science at Florida International University. ID: 91042235367
111. Leonardo M. Fernandez Otaño, PhD student in Historical Sciences. University of Havana. ID: 92021337103.
112. Leonardo Romero Negrin, undergraduate student in Physics. ID: 99101408344.
113. Leonor Ramos Montes de Oca. Cuban mother. ID: 66032219213
114. Leydi Claudia Bravet Ramirez, a fourth-year journalism student at the University of Havana. ID: 99061307450
115. Liena Rodriguez Díaz, a graduate in Psychology. ID: 84010806816.
116. Liliam Ojeda Hernandez – Graduate of the Arts Higher Institute. CID. 83081027256
117. Lisbeth Moya Gonzalez, writer and journalist. Member of the Editorial Board of Comunistas Blog ID: 96082212493.
118. Livio Arturo Delgado Ordoqui Emigrado: Mechanical Engineer CUJAE 1985. ID: 62120401689
119. Lorena Gonzalez Molina. Medical student ID: 02091362312.
120. Luis Daniel Fernandez Monzon. Psychologist of the GBT#2 Municipio Cruces ID: 83120911621
121. Magdialys Alfaro Turruelles, MD, ID: 70091620679.
122. Maikel Benitez Garces. Artist. ID: 85072422023
123. Maite Clavero, Journalist ID: 85062413632
124. Manuel Rodriguez Yong, a graduate in Audiovisual Communication. Audiovisual producer and director. ID: 90011741328
125. Marcos Mauricio Heredia Mena, Mechanical Engineer, Universidad de Oriente. ID: 94052520923
126. Marcos Paz Sablon. Film student ID: 98120606847.
127. María Esther Silva Denis, medium technician in economics. ID: 65121706373
128. María L. Exposito Gonzalez, Journalist. ID: 97022602417
129. Mario Gines Gonzalez. Medium Technician in Computer Science. ID 72100312842.
130. Mario J. Valdes Navia, historian, essayist and researcher. Writer for La Joven Cuba. ID: 61013002628
131. Marleidy Muñoz Fleites. Journalist. Master in History and Anthropology. ID: 86100314335
132. Mauro Diaz Vazquez, a fourth-year student of Journalism. ID: 99122206189
133. Miguel A. Hayes Martinez, economist, writer and editor of La Trinchera. ID: 95112506860.
134. Miguel Angel Mesa Andarcio, Automatic Control engineer. ID: 62052700725.
135. Miguel Ángel Wong Diaz, musician. ID: 77130108185.
136. Miryorly García Prieto; art historian. ID: 78040313472.
137. Niurka Fernandez Muñoz, Master in Heritage Rehabilitation. ID: 64102613155
138. Oniel Santana Contreras. Bachelor in Accounting and Finance ID: 87032410026.
139. Onivia Perez Castillo, a graduate in Spanish Literature ID: 66061116557.
140. Oscar Ernesto Perez Infante, a graduate in FAMCA ID: 9508022894444
141. Osvaldo Hernández Menendez. BA in History. ID: 83080218189
142. Pedro Pablo Bacallao Perdomo, self-taught artist and painter. ID: 80062903763
143. Pedro Sosa Tabio – a fourth-year student of Journalism – ID 98072007705.
144. Rachel Gomez Almanza. Stomatologist ID: 97082506839
145. Raúl A. Leiva González, a third-year student of Literature. The University of Havana. ID: 99091706901.
146. Raúl Antonio Caballero Cabana. Specialist in Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine. ID: 77120715926
147. Raul Escalona Gutierrez, Master in Applied Mathematics, IC: 94091928126.
148. Raul Prado Rodriguez, Director of Photography and Bachelor of Law. ID: 86040804824.
Rebeca Gomez Miranda. MD ID: 71112001490.
150. Reinier Alard de los Santos, a graduate in Physical Culture ID: 8412120792727.
151. Reinier Díaz Vega, Actor. ID: 91041222264.
152. Reinier Lazaro Rangel Cabrera. Self-employed. ID: 98070708509.
153. Ricardo Franco, painter, engraver and independent artist. ID: 71011300743.
154. Riogers Evys Guilarte Joubert Translator and Interpreter. ID: 85111728108
155. Roberto Gonzalez Felipez, electrical technician. ID: 67121301227
156. Roberto Ramos Mori, Designer, Visual Artist and LGBTIQ+ Activist. ID: 75043001444
157. Roger A. Grau Ricardo, History graduate and researcher. ID 94101329943.
158. Rolando Pablo Lopez Reyna, contract worker. ID: 69030239723.
160. Rolando Velazquez Fonseca practitioner ID: 93051919861.
161. Ronald Viñas Oliva. Engineer ID: 95010628580
162. Senen Alonso Alum, literary researcher, ID: 97012302502
163. Silvia Elena Oliva Sainz. Psychologist. ID: 71050704196
164. Tamara Wilson Cisneros Doctor ID: 70121727232
165. Teresa Díaz Canals Professor, essayist ID: 57041100773
166. Thalia Rosa Alfonso Gomez, Journalism student. ID: 98021509372
167. Ulises Padron Suarez, Bachelor of Arts, Afro LGBTIQ+ activist and editor. ID: 87112907088.
168. Victor Luis Gonzalez Ricardo, BA in History, University of Holguin. ID: 82112826048.
169. Virginita Cabrera de la Cerda. ID 62062104256.
170. Yadira Garcia Zayas ID: 91121023057.
171. Yaili Rodriguez Valdes, a fourth-year student of Information Sciences, Faculty of Communication, University of Havana. ID: 99013102814
172. Yamil Rodriguez Guzman, a technician in rope access and positioning. ID. 9410123446.
173. Yanko Llagostera Diaz, Bachelor of Law. ID: 83032427548
174. Yarbredy Vazquez Lopez, economist, researcher at the Centro de Desarrollo Local y Comunitario ID: 82051503621.
175. Yasmín S. Portales Machado, writer, literary critic and LGBTIQ+ activist. ID: 80030606995
176. Yoan Molina Puerto, Electronics and Telecommunications Engineer. UCLV ID: 89082306186
177. Yoel Alejandro Cala Perez, Master of Earth Sciences, a PhD student and professor at the Faculty of Sciences, UNAM, Mexico. CI: 91071622428
178. Yosvany Quesada García, graduate in Economics ID: 94012337940
179. Yudel Ricardo Falcon. MD. ID: 79112807505
180. Yunior Batista Mayo, ID: 78112323861.
Anticapitalist Organisation. Blog: contraelcapital.lamula.pe
2. David Karvala, activist author of Marx21.net
3. Liga Unitary Chavista Socialist League LUCHAS, Venezuela
4. Orlando Garcia Lorens; Associate Professor CS-UNAM ID: 7506127809043
5. MSC. Dariel Mena Mendez. University professor and researcher Social Communicator President of the International Network of Historiography of Communication (RIHC). Resident in Mexico
6. James Buckwalter-Arias, Professor of Languages and Literature, Hanover College, USA
7. Adriano Dias, trabalhador dos Correios e Dirigente da CSP-CONLUTAS Rio de Janeiro
8. Baba, professor at UFRJ, founder of PSOL and leader of CST
9. Barbara Sinedino, Dirigente do SEPE (Sindicato dos Profissionais de Educação) do Rio de Janeiro
Bernarda Thailhana, Dirigente do SINTUFF
10. Diego Vitello, Dirigente do Sindicato dos Metroviário de SP e SEN da CSP-CONLUTAS
11. Isadora Bueno, Director of UNE (União Nacional dos Estudantes)
12. Joice Souza, dirigente do PSOL Pará
13. João Santiago, Coordenador Geral do SINTSEP-PA
14. Marisa Santos, Dirigente do PSOL Belém
15. Pedro Rosa, Dirigente do SINTUFF (Sindicato de Trabalhadores da UFF) dirigente do PSOL
16. Rosi Messias, Diretório Nacional do PSOL e CST
17. Val Ribeiro, dirigente da FASUBRA
18. Miguel Angel Hernandez, Retired Professor, Central University Venezuela, a leader of the Socialism and Freedom Party.
19. Antonio Espinoza, Professor at the Universidad Politecnica Territorial del estado Aragua, Venezuela.
20. Armando Guerra, Professor, Politechnic Territorial de los Altos Mirandinos Cecilio Acosta University, Venezuela.
Rolando Gaitan, PhD in Physics, Carabobo University, Venezuela.
22. Jose Bodas, General Secretary of the Petrol Workers Union of Venezuela (Futpv),
23. Orlando Chirino, a union leader of the Classist, Unitary, Revolutionary and Autonomous Current (C-cura), Venezuela.
24. Mariela Alcala, teacher, spokesperson of the union Suma, Fetramagisterio, Venezuela
25. Humberto Balderrama, teacher, member of the National Directorate of the Partido de los Trabajadores (Workers’ Party), Venezuela
26. Eliseo Mamani, former Executive, Rural Teachers Association, La Paz, Bolivia
27. Jorge de la Rocha, former leader Urbano Teachers Confederation, Bolivia
28. Juan Carlos Giordano, National Deputy of Izquierda Socialista (IS), in the Frente de Izquierda y los Trabajadores (Left Front-Unity) of Argentina; Monica Schlotthauer, railway delegate and National Deputy of Socialist Left/FIT-U) of Argentina
29. Martin Mangiantini (Researcher CONICET / UBA, Argentina)
30. Jose Castillo, Professor, Faculty of Social Sciences, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina. 31.
32. Fito Columbich, Governing Board of Higher Education Institute Olga Cossettini # 28, Rosario. Argentina
33. Blanca Lopez. Provincial deputy of Neuquen, Argentina.
33. Rodolfo Sanchez, Physicist and Professor Cuyo National University, Argentina
Pablo Almeida, legislator of Socialist Left-FIT, of Buenos Aires City. Argentina
36. Pilar Barbas, Youth leader of Socialist Left and Arts Councillor, Faculty of Philosophy – UBA, Argentina.
37. Andi Prieto, Councillor of the Faculty Joaquin V Gonzalez, Argentina.
38. Rosario Kairuz, Councillor of Communication, Faculty of Social Sciences – UBA, Argentina.
Mercedes de Mendieta, UBA teacher and Buenos Aires legislator for IS FITU, Argentina.
40. Julieta Ocampo – Secretary of University Policies -CEHUMA – Comahue National University, Argentina.